Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Post #3Mind Enhancers

Today I worked more on my webpage. I made a new page on the risks of taking cognitive enhancing drugs. There are risks like insomnia, loss of appetite, and headaches. I read that some people think that in the future we will develop better mind enhancers with fewer side effects. I also learned how to link a video to my website and I found a good one on YouTube. The video was a discussion about an article in Nature magazine about college students taking mind enhancers.

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting to follow your posts :-) I was wondering...what do you think about the comment that this guy (a magazine I read) made...it went something like this: I don't want to take drugs to help me recover faster when I have jet lag. I think that jet lag is just a 'normal' body response to going up to 30,000 feet in elevation. But, my colleagues are taking the drugs. That means that they can return to work right away and be more productive. I'm worried. Will I be forced to take the drugs just to keep competitive - to keep my job?!? Do you think that employers should have the right to force their employees to take the drugs?

    Also, you mentioned that you looked into dopamine. That's a neurotransmitter, right? Do these mind enhancing drugs act like neurotransmitters? What do they do specifically at the synapse (where one nerve cell meets another)?
    Mrs. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the comment you made about the guy at work with jet lag. I don’t think it is fair that people should feel pressure to take drugs just to keep up at work. Employers should not be able to force their employees to take mind enhancers.

    ReplyDelete